Looking back on my first few big travel experiences I had so much to learn and in retrospect would have made some different choices. As I have traveled more throughout the years I am happy to share some tips and tricks I wish I would have known years ago.
Travel Tips to Saving Money
Traveling is expensive so it’s important to make it as affordable as possible. When planning your next trip save money by:
- Be flexible on the destination and dates
- Shop around
- Think about booking a package that includes the stay, flight, and optional rental car
- Subscribe to travel agencies’ newsletters to be notified of deals or discounts
- Travel during your destination’s shoulder/offseason
- Get a credit card that gives you travel rewards
- Avoid buying things at the airport – the mark up is super high at any airport
Remember you ultimately will have to lug your bags around with you and you never know how far or what kind of conditions you will need to pull your luggage through. I guarantee you will regret overpacking, so think about traveling light. Here are some tips for packing lighter:
- Know how many clothes you need – meaning, if you are gone for 7 days you will need 7 outfits.
- Coordinate – pack clothes that can all be worn together so you can mix and match and pack less.
- Stay organized – packing cubes are a great way to keep your clothing organized.
- Skip the shampoo, conditioner, soap, and body wash if you are staying in a hotel – they normally always have these items, so no need to add that unnecessary weight to your suitcase.
- Wear a comfortable pair of shoes for walking and travel and pack one additional pair, like sandals, which are lightweight and can be dressed up or down.
- Smaller luggage – the larger the suitcase the more likely you are to fill it.
- Go heavy – meaning, wear your heaviest items of clothing on travel days to keep your bag as light as possible.
Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable
No matter where you travel, you will be uncomfortable at some point. The best thing you can do is prepare for it and be okay with the discomfort. How to make being uncomfortable more comfortable:
- Plan for it and know it’s coming. More than likely the discomfort will occur on travel days when you are trying to go from point A to point B.
- On travel, days dress for comfort (comfortable clothes and shoes) that you can be comfortable in for long periods if needed. Let style go and grab the sweatpants and tennis shoes.
- Breath. The unexpected will happen and you will feel uncomfortable, but try to remain calm.
- Stay organized. Disorganization can lead to a lot of issues that could be avoided. Have a place for everything and know where it belongs.
- Carry snacks. The hangry’s can make everything seem worse, so always have some snacks on hand in case food is not available for extended periods.
- Stay hydrated. Plan to bring a refillable water bottle with you everywhere. Again, being thirsty can intensify the discomfort, so do your best to have water at all times.
- Bring a pillow and blanket. This is mainly for long travel days where you may end up spending hours in the airport, on a plane, train, or bus. A pillow and blanket can make it much more comfortable to catch some zzz’s while traveling.
Travel Tips – Just Do It!
Yes, travel an be stressful and uncomfortable, but it is so worth it! Traveling truly fuels the soul and teaches us so much about the world.